Kings Hill Primary School
Kings Hill, Kent
Kent County Council
Burns Guthrie & Partners
Form of Contract
Develop and Build
Construction of a new 1FE primary school for Kent County Council (KCC). External works comprised of a new car park, hard landscaping around building including MUGA pitch (MUGA is a sports surface which can be used for multiple different activities) and soft landscaping for sports pitches and temporary covering where future phases are planned. Installation (and removal) of temporary accommodation for school to occupy September 2015.
“I just wanted to pass on my thanks for all your help and care with our building. I feel very lucky to have worked with Dave and his team at Galliford Try – their kindness and consideration at every level has been fantastic and we are now privileged to have a just amazing building and space for the children! It is like winning the lottery!”
- Site team engaged with the school for a number of events. These included assemblies, numerous site visits for the school staff, site visits for the school children, and issuing virtual reality headsets for the periods when access on to site would be too hazardous.
- A sand pit was constructed from surplus materials and issued to the school as was furniture and pin boards following hand over of the building.
- Site Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) was issued for the schools use and “goody” bags were handed out at handover.
- Regular newsletters were issued to the surrounding properties (commercial buildings).
- Local labour included technical apprentice.
- Labour was locally recruited.
- Six apprentices employed – two with GT & Trac and four with supply chain
Inclusion of fully functioning kitchen.
Late change accommodated by site along with the management of the client’s contractor.
Projecting steels to roof and 1st floor levels – missed on the design stage.
Worked through with the various contractors.
Clash with steel frame and render finish/build up.
We held early workshops with the façade contractor to manage this and alter the design at an early stage.
Change to ceiling finishes in the hall.
Change from clients requirements and signed off design.
External canopy - derogated to achieve budget requirements but client didn’t understand the necessity for both areas.
Worked with consultants and client to agree on finishes within budget.
Design developed with contractor and architect to ensure best possible solution.
Acoustic and air testing.
Worked through design with early engagement with Stroma (accredited certification). Site visit beneficial and assisted with project achieving required levels at first attempt.
Clashes with pop ups and steel columns.
Early intervention allowed for issues encountered with locations of soil vent pipe and base plates to be resolved.
- Excellent relationship with KCC but also the end user.
- Aligned supply chain members performance.
- Early engagement with supply chain for design input with consultants.
- Proactive team approach all pulling in the same direction.
- Regular engagement with the school for assemblies.
- Newsletters to residents and local parish council.
KPI’s & Statistics
|Contract||CTB Gateway 4|
Average CCS score: 39
Contacts: Chris Nickolls