The London Screen Academy
The Secretary of State for Education
London Screen Academy was a D&B project which involved the partial demolition of part of the central and southern section of the existing 4 storey plus basement building and replacement with a 3 storey plus basement building and a third floor roof amenity space, provision of replacement doors and windows to include ventilation louvres, reinstatement of door on Highbury Grove frontage; provision of bicycle and bin storage and new fence along Kelvin Road frontage; new glazed roof on single storey extension to the south, and removal of the existing single storey structure on roof, extension of two existing stair cores and lift overrun, and provision of new balustrade, photovoltaic panels and a sedum roof at roof level in order to facilitate the use of the building as a specialist Class D1 sixth form school.
The Building is Ladbroke House, a brick building built in the 1930s as a factory facility for radio and television manufacturer AC Cossor, the first in fact to start selling TVs to the public and so a prophetic forerunner to the building’s future role. By 1937, the owners of Ladbroke House claimed that it was “the “largest self-contained radio factory in the British Empire.”